Park Place and Temple Combe, Henley, England
Record Id: 2571
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Park Place and Temple Combe have later 18th century landscape park and gardens which at its most extensive covered about 360 hectares. The park contains a 'Druids Temple' or Neolithic chambered tomb, brought from Jersey and reconstructed in 1785. The park is now in divided ownership, the 'Druids Temple' being situated at Temple Combe. A golf course has been constructed in the north-east corner of the park.
Brief history of site
In 1719 Mrs Elizabeth Baker sold land called Park's Place to Lord Archibald Hamilton, who at some time after this erected a Palladian mansion called Park Place on a new site. General the Hon Henry Seymour Conway enlarged the parkland during the 1760s-1780s. The house was rebuilt in about 1871, following a fire. The grounds were subject to extensive `landscape gardening' carried out under Robert Marnock in about 1869.
Address: Park Place, Henley, Berks, RG9 3HH
Historical County: Berkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||175||Grid Ref:||SU777821|
South-east of Henley-on-Thames, off the A321.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1719
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 240