Parcevall Hall, (also known as The Bradford Diocese Retreat House and Percival Hall), Skipton, England
Record Id: 2561
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Parceval Hall has a designed garden associated with a greatly extended farm-house. The site has medieval origins, and was extended in the 17th century with some 20th-century alterations. The gardens are largely of early-20th-century design, which include a formal terrace garden, woodland garden and rock garden.
Brief history of site
In 1549 Sir John Yorke of Gouthwaite Hall purchased the manor of Appletreewick which included Parcevall Hall Estate. The oldest surviving parts of the hall date from the early-17th-century. Parcevall Hall was little altered until it was bought in 1927 by Sir William Milner Bt, who greatly extended the original stone farmhouse. At this time a formal terraced garden was constructed below the hall and an extensive rock garden was also created.
Address: Appletreewick, Skyreholme, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 6DG
North Yorkshire; Craven; Appletreewick
Historical County: North Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||98||Grid Ref:||SE069612|
The site is north-east of Skipton, off the B6160. Please see:
Opening contact details:
The Tea Room is open between April & October. Please telephone 01756 720630 for opening times.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: retreat
Site first created: After 1549
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 9