Panshanger, Hertingfordbury, England
Record Id: 2550
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Panshanger features the remains of an 18th- and 19th-century landscape park covering about 350 hectares. The site includes parkland, woodland, agricultural land, and areas used for sand and gravel extraction. Following gravel extraction the site is to be used as a country park.
Brief history of site
Panshanger is linked to the neighbouring Cole Green estate, which was under the same ownership in the 18th century. Lancelot Brown is known to have worked on the site in the mid-18th century. Humphry Repton was consulted after 1797. Planting began in 1799, continuing over several years, and Cole Green House was pulled down in 1801-2. Panshanger House, modified from Repton's suggestions, was largely built 1806-9. After World War 1 the estate deteriorated. It was broken up and sold out of the family in 1953, and by 1954 the house had been demolished.
Address: Panshanger Park, nr Hertingfordbury, Hertfordshire, SG14 2NA
Hertfordshire; East Hertfordshire; Hertingfordbury
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL289128|
North of Hertingfordbury on the north side of the A414
Opening contact details:
Panshanger Park is open to the public. Some areas are restricted but there are many new permissive paths.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: country park
Site Style : informal
Site first created: After 1704
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 350