Painshill, Surrey, England
Record Id: 2545
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Painshill has 18th-century landscaped pleasure grounds and a park. A lake is surrounded by a number of ornamental buildings, including a Gothic Temple, grotto, Mausoleum and Turkish Tent. Around 62 hectares survive from the original 86-hectare estate.
Brief history of site
Painshill was laid out between 1738 and 1773 by the Honourable Charles Hamilton. A new mansion was completed in 1778. The estate was divided after World War 2. The area around the lake was bought up in portions by Elmbridge Borough Council during the 1970s, and a major restoration project has been underway since 1980, managed by the Painshill Park Trust.
Address: Portsmouth Road, Cobham, KT11 1JE
Surrey; Elmbridge; Cobham and Downside
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||187||Grid Ref:||TQ095599|
The park can be reached from junction 10 of the M25. Follow the A245. There are also good public transport links by bus and train.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily throughout the year from 10.30 am. Please see:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1738 to 1773
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 86