Oxen Hoath, Hadlow, Tonbridge, England
Record Id: 2536
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Oxon Hoath has a formal parterre laid out in the 1840s by William Nesfield. The house is set in 18th-century parkland. Part of the site currently (2008) functions as a venue for a variety of group events.
Brief history of site
By 1621, there was a house on the site with a grand gateway. By 1719, an illustration shows a multi-gabled house standing in a formal setting approached via a double avenue to the south. The house and grounds were again remodelled at the end of the 18th century. In about 1846 Sir William R P Geary brought in Anthony Salvin to restyle the house in the French fashion, and William Andrews Nesfield to lay out a formal garden.
Address: Oxen Hoath, Hadlow, near Tonbridge, Kent, TN11 9SS
Kent; Tonbridge and Malling; Hadlow
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||188||Grid Ref:||TQ630521|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1621
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 110