Oulton Hall, Leeds, England
Record Id: 2524
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Oulton Hall has a landscape park with pleasure grounds, developed initially to a scheme by Humphry Repton in around 1810. The hall is currently (2008) a hotel and the parkland has been developed as a golf course.
Brief history of site
Oulton House, the precursor to the present building, was the country retreat of Leeds banker John Blayd. The area of common land around Oulton Hall was enclosed through an Act of Parliament which was given Royal Assent in 1809, and Humphry Repton produced a red book for the site in 1810.
Address: Oulton Hall, Rothwell Lane, Oulton, Leeds, LS26 8HN
West Yorkshire; Leeds; Rothwell
Historical County: West Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||104||Grid Ref:||SE358277|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: golf course
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: 1810
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 110