Oatlands, Weybridge, Surrey, England
Record Id: 2476
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Oatlands has landscaped pleasure grounds and the remains of a park dating from around 1747. The park covers some ten hectares, with a ten hectare Broad Water and two hectares of formal gardens. The site is now a hotel, but is not open to the public in the general sense.
Brief history of site
Between 1537 and 1547, Henry VIII built a palace on the site. There was an associated deer park of 218 hectares. Inigo Jones worked intermittently at Oatlands for thirty years and in 1630 John Tradescant the Elder was appointed 'Keeper of His Majesties Gardens, Vines and Silkworms' at Oatlands. The house was demolished in 1650. A new house was built in around 1720, and associated formal grounds were laid out. The park was laid out from the 1740s for the 9th Earl of Lincoln, partly by Joseph Spence. There are also associations with W Kent and Stephen Wright. The park was extended between 1791 and 1827 by the Duke of York, then broken up in the 19th century.
Address: Oatlands Drive, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 9HB
Surrey; Elmbridge; Weybridge North
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ084651|
The hotel is off the A317 near Weybridge, which can be reached via junction 11 of the M25.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: 1747
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 22