Oakes Park, Sheffield, England
Record Id: 2465
The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):
Oakes Park was owned by the Morewood family in the 17th century. In 1681 John Morewood married Elizabeth Gill and sold The Oakes to her brother Henry, who built a house there in the late 17th century. The estate passed to the Bagshawe family through marriage in 1699 and was inherited by a distant cousin, Dr William Chambers Darling, in 1801. He adopted the Bagshawe name and was knighted in 1806. The house and park remained in the ownership of the Bagshawes until the mid-1980s when they were sold. The house is currently (1997) empty and the parkland is disused.
People associated with this site
Builder: Joseph Badger (born 1738 died 1817)
Sculptor: Sir Francis Chantrey (born 07/04/1781 died 25/11/1841)
Designer: Robert Marnock (born 12/03/1800 died 15/11/1889)
Architect: John Nash (born 1752 died 1835)
The boundary is marked by a wall, which is ruinous in places, along the north and west sides.