Nymans, Haywards Heath, England
Record Id: 2462
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Nymans is the work of three generations of the Messel family, started between 1885 and 1916 by Ludwig Messel and continued until 1953 by Leonard Messel. It is a plantsman and collector's garden. The site is described by The National Trust as one of the great gardens of the Sussex Weald, internationally known for its beauty, atmosphere and collection of rare and important plants.
Brief history of site
George Harrington largely rebuilt the house, considerably enlarged the estate and began planting shelter belts of trees and shrubs from 1839 to 1852. The house was re-built again after 1916 by Colonel Leonard Messel and his wife Maud. They further developed the gardens with a wide range of newly introduced plants, particularly those from the southern continents brought back by Harold Comber.
Address: Nymans, Handcross, near Haywards Heath, Sussex, RH17 6EB
Locality: Haywards Heath
West Sussex; Mid Sussex; Cuckfield Rural
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ265294|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1839 to 1954
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 26