Nuneham Courtenay, (also known as Nuneham Park), Oxford, England
Record Id: 2454
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Nuneham Courtenay has a garden situated within about 470 hectares of landscape park, laid out in 1756 and re-designed between 1779 and 1782 by Lancelot Brown. The gardens and pleasure grounds directly associated with the house occupy about 22 hectares. Various developments had taken place before the gardens were restored in the late-20th century.
Brief history of site
The Palladian villa was constructed in 1756 and later greatly extended. Landscape improvements accompanied the construction of the villa, including the removal and resiting of a village. The medieval church was replaced in 1764 by Athenian Stuart's classical church-temple. Further developments were undertaken: in 1771 by William Mason; 1779-82 by Capability Brown; and 1832 by W S Gilpin. In Edwardian times the Mason garden was refurbished, and elaborate formal terraced gardens were constructed under the west front. These were mostly removed in the late-20th century.
Address: Nuneham Park, Nuneham Courtnay, Oxfordshire, OX44 9PG
Oxfordshire; South Oxfordshire; Nuneham Courtenay
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SU544983|
5 miles south-east of Oxford
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: 1756
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 470