Norris Castle, Isle of Wight, England
Record Id: 2434
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Norris Castle is an early-19th-century park and woodland with fine marine views. At its most extensive the grounds covered 88 hectares. Some areas are now (1986) in separate use and ownership.
Brief history of site
Norris Castle was built in 1799 by the architect James Wyatt, and a park was created in the early-19th century.
Address: East Cowes, PO32 6AZ
Locality: Isle of Wight
Isle of Wight; East Cowes
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||196||Grid Ref:||SZ515962|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: castle
Site first created: 1799 to 1833
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 58