Newnham Paddox, Coventry, England
Record Id: 2412
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Newnham Paddox has a mid-18th-century landscape park occupying about 115 hectares, with 19th-century formal gardens of some 20 hectares which are now (late-20th century) largely abandoned. The park was landscaped by Lancelot Brown between 1745 and 1753. A 12 hectare sculpture park was laid out in the early-21st century.
Brief history of site
In the late-16th or early-17th century the Feilding family built a large, probably timber-framed house. Alterations were made to the gardens in the late-17th century, and these elaborate formal gardens were illustrated by Knyff and Kip in an engraving published in 1707. New work began in the gardens and park in 1741 under the direction of Lancelot Brown. In 1754 Brown undertook the first phase of the rebuilding of the 17th-century house. Further changes to the gardens were made by John Fleming in the late-19th century, and the house was radically remodelled by T H Wyatt in 1876-9.
Address: Newnham Paddox House, Newnham Paddox, Monks Kirby, Warwickshire, CV23 0RX
Warwickshire; Rugby; Monks Kirby
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||140||Grid Ref:||SP478 838|
North of the B4027, west of the A5 at Lutterworth.
Opening contact details:
The site is open from May to October. Please telephone 01788 833513
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: After 1550
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 135