Newick Park, Lewes, England
Record Id: 2409
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Newick Park has a landscape park of about 74 hectares, which forms the setting for a country house, used until recently (2016) as a hotel and function centre. Late-18th-century pleasure grounds with ornamental plantings having been developed from the mid-19th century into the early-20th century.
Brief history of site
There was probably a medieval deer park to the south of the modern site. Newick Place, a mid-16th century iron master's house, was rebuilt in the late-17th century. There was a walled garden and orchard by the early-18th century. After 1765, the estate passed to the Vernon family, who rebuilt the main part of the house as it is seen today and seem also to have carried out extensive landscaping. The estate was acquired in 1816 by James Henry Sclater, a founder member of the RHS, who together with his son James Henry the younger was responsible for much of the ornamental planting between 1840-1860.
Address: Newick Park Country House Hotel, Newick, near Lewes, East Sussex, BN8 4SB
East Sussex; Lewes; Newick
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ423195|
This is now an hotel and function venue. See
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1767 to 1799
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 74