Moynes Court, Chepstow, Wales
Record Id: 2356
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Moynes Court has 16th-century walled garden compartments which have a well-preserved structure. There is also a medieval fishpond in a small valley.
Brief history of site
There was a fortified manor house on the site in the 13th century. After a major remodelling at the end of the 16th century the Bishop of Llandaff bought Moynes Court in 1609. The gardens are now in three separate ownerships.
Address: Moynes Court, Mathern, Chepstow, NP16 6HZ
Historical County: Monmouthshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||162||Grid Ref:||ST 520909|
Form of site: walled garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Plant type/environment: walled garden
Main period of development: 16th century
CADW Register of Landscapes Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales Grade II Reference PGW(Gt) 34
Conservation Area Reference Mathern
CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales Grade II Reference Gatehouse
house Created 1270 to 1600
Designation status: CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales Grade II* Reference Moynes Court
The fishpond is probably of medieval origin.
Feature created: After 1267
A well-preserved and little altered gatehouse, probably dating from the late-13th century.
Designation status: CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales Designation Grade II Designation Reference Gatehouse
Organisations associated with this site
Cadw Role: Designating Authority
Sources of information
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, 'Moynes Court, Garden, Mathern', <http://www.coflein.gov.uk/pls/portal/coflein.w_details?inumlink=6063041> [accessed 1 October 2007]
Cadw and ICOMOS UK, 'Moynes Court' in Register of Landscapes, Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales: Gwent (Cardiff: Cadw, 1994), pp. 104-5