Moor Park, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, England
Record Id: 2324
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Moor Park has the remains of an 18th-century landscape park which at its most extensive covered about 240 hectares. It now includes two golf courses, with the remains of 19th/early-20th century formal gardens of 3 hectares. There has also been building development along the boundaries and in the south-east quarter of the estate.
Brief history of site
George Nevill, Archbishop of York, had enclosed about 270 hectares as a deer park before the 1480s. The estate later belonged to Cardinal Wolsey, and was afterwards occupied by Catherine of Aragon. From 1617 to 1627 Lucy Harington, Countess of Bedford created a renowned garden on the site. A new house was built some distance south-west of the earlier mansion in the late 17th century by the Duke of Monmouth. The house was re-built after 1720 and Charles Bridgeman drew plans for the gardens. Lancelot Brown was employed from 1753 to carry out extensive works, including remodelling the pleasure grounds.
Address: Moor Park Golf Club, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, WD3 1QN
Hertfordshire; Three Rivers; Rickmansworth
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TQ074932|
Two miles from the M25 J18. 1.5 miles south east, off the A4145
Opening contact details:
Please seehttp://www.moorparkgc.co.uk or telephone 01923 773146
A golf club with 2 courses, open to the public for golf, weddings and functions. Check for access to the garden/grounds.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: golf course
Context or principal building: golf course
Site first created: Before 1480
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 115