Montacute House, Yeovil, England
Record Id: 2316
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Montacute House has formal garden enclosures of 4.8 hectares. There is also a park of around 106 hectares remaining from 121 hectares of parkland. There are several phases of activity: late 16th century, early 18th century, around 1786 and again in the mid-19th century by Mrs Phelips and Mr Pridham.
Brief history of site
A castle was built on the hill in 1087, but by 1192 the site had been granted to a Clunaic priory. The hillside was enclosed as a deer park. In 1598-99 Edward Phelips began to build a new house and formal gardens at Montacute, which were completed around 1601. The priory estate was added in 1608, and a park had been laid out by 1630. Significant changes took place from 1750, including the building of a folly tower and the creation of a new entrance. The site was renovated after 1845, but declined from the late-19th century. The estate was purchased in 1931 and passed to the National Trust.
Address: Montacute, Somerset, TA15 6XP
Somerset; South Somerset; Montacute
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||193||Grid Ref:||ST499172|
The site is south of the A3088 in Montacute village, 4 miles west of Yeovil.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open throughout the year from Wednesdays to Sundays. In addition, they are open on Mondays at high season.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : formal
Site first created: 1598 to 1601
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 110