Minley Manor, Blackwater, England
Record Id: 2301
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Minley Manor has 19th-century gardens and pleasure grounds of 519 hectares. The house commands an area of varied topographical interest, with long-distance views over the countryside.
Brief history of site
Raikes Currie bought the land in 1846, at which time the manor was in a poor condition. He set about creating a new manor and estate. Henry Clutton designed a new house which was built between 1858 and 1860. Formal gardens around the house, a kitchen garden, and part of the pleasure grounds were laid out 1861-4. Between 1884 and 1886 extensive additions to the estate were made by the architect George Devey. Messrs Veitch were employed to lay out a Winter Garden, The Plain, and extensions to the pleasure grounds in the 1880s and 1890s. New lodges, a water tower, and a new complex of walled gardens were created after 1896.
Address: Minley Manor, Blackwater, Camberley, GU17 9JU
Hampshire; Hart; Blackwater and Hawley
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||186||Grid Ref:||SU822580|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1846 to 1899
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 519