Milton Hall, Bretton, (also known as Milton House), Peterborough, England
Record Id: 2297
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Milton Hall has gardens and pleasure grounds covering about 16 hectares, within a landscape park which now occupies about 315 hectares, but which at its most extensive covered about 520 hectares. The park was landscaped in the late-18th century by Repton. The formal gardens of the 17th century were replaced by flower gardens in the 19th century.
Brief history of site
Milton Hall was created from 1594 as a private residence. A plan dated 1643 records the grounds at this time enclosed by a moat and containing courtyards, fishponds, orchards and gardens. An early-18th century park was re-worked by Humphry Repton from 1791, and the 17th-century formal gardens were replaced by 19th-century flower gardens.
Address: Milton Hall, Peterborough, PE6 7AF
Historical County: Northamptonshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||152||Grid Ref:||TL146998|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: 1594
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 315