Milton Abbey, Dorset, England
Record Id: 2296
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Milton Abbey is an 18th-century landscape park, which covered 300 hectares at its most extensive. The estate was divided in 1933, leaving a central area of landscape park around Milton Abbey of about 35 hectares.
Brief history of site
Milton Abbey dates mainly from the 14th century. Milton Abbey House was built from 1771. Gardening and landscape activity at Milton Abbey is uncertain before the mid-18th century. Capability Brown was called in by the first Lord Milton in 1763, and continued to work there until at least 1782.
Address: Milton Abbey, Blandford Forum, Dorset, DT11 OBZ
Dorset; North Dorset; Milton Abbas
Historical County: Dorset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||194||Grid Ref:||ST798023|
Opening contact details:
The church is open daily from 10am to 5pm and there are a number of public footpaths from which the landscape can be viewed. Milton Abbey School, however, which shares the site, is not open to the public.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: After 1763
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 35