Mesnes Park, Wigan, England
Record Id: 2281
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Mesnes Park occupies a 12 hectare site immediately to the north-west of Wigan town centre. It was opened as a public park in 1878, and includes a number of Victorian park features including a bandstand, a pavilion and a Pulhamite rock feature.
Brief history of site
The land had been meadow and pasture, but by 1847 supported two collieries. Wigan Corporation purchased the site after 1871, and a competition was held for the design in 1877. The opening ceremony for the park was held in August 1878.
Address: Mesnes Park, Wigan, WN1 2DQ
Greater Manchester; Wigan
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SD578064|
Immediately to the north-west of Wigan town centre, off the B5376
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1871 to 1878
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 12