Mells Manor House, Frome, England
Record Id: 2257
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Mells Manor House has a walled garden dating from around 1520, with changes and additions resulting from advice given by Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll around 1902-10.
Brief history of site
The village had been in the possession of Glastonbury Abbey until the Dissolution. It was bought in 1543 by Thomas Horner, and his son improved and enlarged the manor after 1587. The family built a new house, Park House, to the west in 1724, and in around 1770 the north and central sections of the old manor were demolished. The remaining south wing was used intermittently in the 18th and 19th centuries, and became the family's principal residence again from 1902.
Address: Mells, Frome, Mendip , BA11 3RE
Somerset; Mendip; Mells
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||183||Grid Ref:||ST727493|
Form of site: walled garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: manor house
Site first created: Before 1543
Main period of development: 16th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 1.8