Marston House, Frome, England
Record Id: 2239
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Marston House has the remains of pleasure grounds dating to 1724-45 by Stephen Switzer. There is also a late-18th century landscape park. Further work was undertaken from 1819-22 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville, and more re-workings in the later 19th century.
Brief history of site
Marston House did not exist in 1600, and the earliest description dates from 1641, by which time there was 'a fair house, with orchards, gardens and pleasant walks about it'. The site was neglected for long periods in the later 17th century. In 1714, Marston became the possession of Charles Boyle, fourth Earl of Orrery, rebuilt the house around 1720, and employed Stephen Switzer (1682-1745) to lay out the grounds. Marston Pond, a boathouse, and three gate lodges were created after 1798, and William Sawrey Gilpin was consulted on changes to the drives, pleasure grounds, and park.
Address: Marston Bigot, BA11 5DU
Somerset; Mendip; Frome
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||183||Grid Ref:||ST756452|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: pleasure ground
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1600 to 1641
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 222