Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

Claverton Manor was begun in about 1580 and completed in 1625. It was built by William Basset II, the M.P. for Bath and a Royalist soldier. In 1684, the manor and gardens took up 12 acres and included a bowling green.

In 1714, the manor was bought by Dr. William Skrine, a fashionable Bath physician. In 1758, Skrine's son sold the house to Ralph Allen. In 1816 the manor was bought by John Vivian, who demolished it shortly afterwards. When George Vivian inherited the estate from his father in 1828 he restored the garden balustrading. Manor Cottage is all that remains of the manor house. The present Claverton Manor (which now houses the American museum) was begun in 1820. It was built on the hill overlooking Claverton village, whereas the original manor was in the village itself.

Features

garden wall

Feature created: 1600 to 1650

The garden walls enclose an outer eastern court and two terraces at the west end. The east court is approximately 55 metres x 55 metres. The north and south walls are tall rubble walls. The south one is stepped up at intervals. The north one is completed at the east end by the rear of Manor Farmhouse and its outbuildings. The eastern walls of the outer court and of the westernmost terrace are surrounded by a balustrade with pierced strapwork panels. In the centre of the easternmost wall is a pair of gatepiers and later iron gates.

Designation status: Scheduled Ancient Monument

Designation status: The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Designation Grade II*

balustrade

Feature created: 1600 to 1650

The eastern walls of the outer court and of the westernmost terrace are surrounded by a balustrade with pierced strapwork panels. In the centre of the easternmost wall is a pair of gatepiers and later iron gates.

Designation status: The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Designation Grade II*

steps

Feature created: 1600 to 1699

The two terraces are divided by two flights of steps. The lower one curves outwards.

Designation status: Scheduled Ancient Monument

Designation status: The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Designation Grade II*

terrace

Feature created: 1600 to 1650

The two terraces run north-south and are approximately 55 metres x 9 metres.

Designation status: Scheduled Ancient Monument