Aberdour Castle and Garden, Aberdour, Scotland
Record Id: 22
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The gardens and grounds of Aberdour Castle contain the remains of 16th-century gardens including the reconstructed terraces. A 17th-century walled garden, once the site of a bowling green, is now planted with herbaceous borders. Subsequent alterations were made in the mid- to late-18th century and 20th century. The estate also incorporates 17th-century Aberdour House which became the main residence after the castle was destroyed by fire in the early-18th century. The grounds have been encroached on by residential development.
Brief history of site
Aberdour Castle dates from the 14th century. The original gardens were laid out in the 17th century but are now mostly lost. The parkland was redesigned in the 19th century. The castle and grounds were placed in the guardianship of Historic Scotland in 1924.
Address: Aberdour Castle, Aberdour, Fife, KY3 0SL
Historical County: Fife
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||66||Grid Ref:||NT192855|
Aberdour Castle is in Aberdour, 7.5 miles east of the Forth Bridges on the A921. For details see:
Opening contact details:
Aberdour Castle and grounds are open to the public throughout the year at varying times.
Aberdour House is not open to the public.
Cafe, shop, parking, picnic area, reasonable wheelchair access
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 15