Magdalen College, Oxford, England
Record Id: 2196
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Magdalen College has gardens, pleasure grounds and a deer park covering about 12 hectares. There is also a large wildflower meadow and a riverside walk. The gardens originated at the foundation of the college in 1458 and have continued to developed since that date.
Brief history of site
Magdalen College was founded by Bishop Waynflete, Bishop of Winchester, in 1458, and much of the building was completed by 1510.
Address: Magdalen College, Oxford, OX1 4AU
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP521064|
Oxford City centre.
Form of site: college garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: college
Site first created: 1448 to 1510
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 12