Madingley Hall, Cambridge, England
Record Id: 2189
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Madingley Hall has a park and pleasure ground belonging to a hall built in 1543. The grounds were landscaped by Lancelot Brown in 1756, with a croquet lawn and topiary garden added in the early-20th century. Originally occupying about 100 hectares, the site is now in multiple ownership with about 3.2 hectares remaining to the hall.
Brief history of site
As with many of the Cambridge colleges, the gardens and grounds of over 100 hectares (over 247 acres) surrounding Madingley Hall are divided into separate areas. This reflects the numerous re-designs of the landscape from the Hall's creation in 1543 by Sir John Hyde. The earliest record of the gardens is from a 1705 illustration by Kip showing a 'Dutch Style' layout popular at the time. The gardens were landscaped by Lancelot Brown between 1756 and 1757 whose work has been partly obliterated by the formal gardens of 1913 and 1914.
Address: Madingley Hall, Madingley, Cambridge, CB23 8AQ
Cambridgeshire; South Cambridgeshire; Madingley
Historical County: Cambridgeshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||154||Grid Ref:||TL392604|
3 miles west of Cambridge
Opening contact details:
There are occasional open days for charity.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: pleasure ground
Context or principal building: college
Site first created: 1543
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 80