Lytes Cary, Somerton, England
Record Id: 2180
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Lytes Cary Manor has garden enclosures in the Elizabethan manner, dating to 1907-20 by Sir Walter Jenner. The gardens were restored in the 1960s by the National Trust in the Jekyll tradition. The house was once home to Henry Lyte, a medieval herbalist, and the gardens include a herbal border.
Brief history of site
A stone chapel was constructed in the mid-14th century, and a courtyard manor house developed around it. The house was completed in the early-16th century, but by 1835 was in serious disrepair. Sir Walter and Lady Jenner bought the site in 1907, and commissioned the architect C E Ponting to undertake the restoration of the surviving elements of the 16th-century manor, and to rebuild the north and west ranges in a sympathetic late 17th-century style. The gardens comprise a series of compartments and inter-related vistas.
Address: nr Charlton Mackrell, TA11 7HU
Somerset; South Somerset; Charlton Mackrell
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||183||Grid Ref:||ST533266|
The site is off the A372 near the village of Kingsdon.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: manor house
Plant type/environment: herb garden
Site first created: 1350 to 1907
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 15