Luton Hoo, Luton, England
Record Id: 2172
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Luton Hoo is an 18th-century landscape park covering almost 600 hectares (475 hectares registered), designed by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown. The grounds include early-20th-century formal gardens and a rockery garden which covers two hectares. The main building is now a hotel.
Brief history of site
A park of 150 hectares was enclosed in 1623. In 1762 the estate was bought by the third Earl of Bute, who employed Robert Adam to rebuild the house and Lancelot Brown to design the park.
Address: Luton Hoo, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 3TQ
Central Bedfordshire; Hyde
Historical County: Bedfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL105185|
Off the B653, 1 mile south of Luton.
Railway station - Luton.
Opening contact details:
The walled garden is open on Wednesdays in the summer:
Much of the site is now in use as a hotel, spa and golf course.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: 1623 to 1767
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 507