Luscombe Castle, Teignbridge , England
Record Id: 2171
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Luscombe Castle is an early-19th century park and garden by Repton, covering around 130 hectares, with about 10 hectares of formal and informal pleasure grounds.
Brief history of site
The land was enclosed by 1788. Luscombe Farm was purchased by local banker Charles Hoare in 1797. The house was designed by John Nash and the gardens were designed by Humphry Repton. Concentrated planting in the park and pleasure grounds continued up to 1805. Formal gardens were created in the pleasure grounds by Peter A M Hoare about 1900.
Address: Luscombe Castle, Dawlish, Devon, EX7 0PU
Devon; Teignbridge; Dawlish
Historical County: Devon
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||192||Grid Ref:||SX943768|
0.5 kilometres west of Dawlish
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1799 to 1805
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 140