Lullingstone Park and Castle, Eynsford, Swanley, England
Record Id: 2166
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Lullingstone is a medieval deer park of 186 hectares originally associated with Lullingstone Castle. The park was restyled during the 18th and 19th centuries and since 1945 the recreational aspect of the park has been developed and the site now includes a visitor and education centre and waymarked walks through the extensive woodland. A 'World Garden' displaying plants from around the globe was created at the Castle in the early-21st century.
Brief history of site
It is possible that the park was originally enclosed around 1368. A new house was built in the 1490s. The earliest reference to the deer park is in the earliest surviving manorial roll of 1545. By the late-17th century the garden consisted of a number of formal enclosures and the house was surrounded by a walled moat. In the late-18th century, the inner gate-house and walls were demolished, the moat was filled in and an informal lake was created.
Address: Kingfisher Bridge, Castle Road, Eynsford, DA4 0JA
Kent; Sevenoaks; Eynsford
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||188||Grid Ref:||TQ517645|
The site is off the A225.
Opening contact details:
The park is open daily throughout the year.
The World Garden at Lullingstone Castle has restricted opening times. Please see:http://www.lullingstonecastle.co.uk/info.htm
Information, cafe, toilets, events.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1368 to 1540
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 300