Lowther Castle, Penrith, England
Record Id: 2163
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Lowther Castle has a landscape park, flanked on its western side by the river Lowther. The site covers about 600 hectares. The present building was unoccupied from 1935 until recently. Along with the gardens, the building had fallen into ruin. A new project was started in August 2007 to consolidate the castle and grounds and use them for recreation, the arts and an education centre. The restoration is now well underway and the site is open to the public.
Brief history of site
The present building dates from 1806 to 1811 but the site has been occupied since the 13th century. The family moved to Askham Hall in the 1950s and the building remained unoccupied for many years. In August 2007 a new charitable trust was formed to consolidate the site and establish its future.
Address: The Estate Office, Lowther Castle, Lowther, Penrith, Cumbria, CA10 2HH
Cumbria; Eden; Lowther
Historical County: Westmoreland
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||90||Grid Ref:||NY 521 238|
4 miles south of Penrith
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open daily from 10am. Please see:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: castle
Site first created: 1806 to 1811
Main period of development: Late 17th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 600