Longleat, Warminster, England
Record Id: 2145
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Longleat is a landscape park covering around 505 hectares, with 19th and 20th century formal gardens of 2.5 hectares. The site is now primarily known as the safari park introduced by the Marquess of Bath in 1964.
Brief history of site
The site had previously been a priory, the buildings of which were destroyed by fire in 1567. A grand new mansion was built. From 1683 a great formal garden in the Franco-Dutch style was laid out. This included a canalised section of the brook, fountains, mazes, plats, and a large wilderness plantation known as The Grove. The gardens became less formal from the early-18th century, and in 1751 Lancelot Brown was commissioned to lay out a park and remove the remaining formal elements of the gardens. Humphry Repton prepared a Red Book in 1803-4, and various alterations were made to the house and grounds at this time.
Address: Longleat, Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12 7NW
Historical County: Wiltshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||183||Grid Ref:||ST810430|
The site is on the A362 Frome-Warminster road.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are usually open daily, with some exceptions.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: safari park
Context or principal building: recreational
Site first created: After 1683
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 505