Longford Castle, Bodenham, England
Record Id: 2144
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Longford Castle has a 16th-century park landscaped in the 18th century. The park covers some 125 hectares, with 19th-century formal gardens of two hectares.
Brief history of site
In about 1578-91 Longford Castle was built to an unusual triangular design by the architect John Thorpe, and formal gardens were laid out to its south and east fronts. The gardens were restored around 1654 following Civil War damage. In about 1740-50 various garden buildings and structures were added, including a balustrade, an obelisk, a summerhouse, a loggia, and various unspecified piers. By 1773 Longford Castle was surrounded by a formal park laid out with avenues and rides. Lancelot Brown visited Longford Castle twice in 1777, but the extent of his work is not known.
Address: Longford Park, SP5 4EG
Historical County: Wiltshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||184||Grid Ref:||SU171266|
Opening contact details:
The house may only be viewed as part of a guided group of 20 people.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: castle
Site Style : formal
Site first created: 1578 to 1591
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 160