Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

The house was built between 1870 and 1875, on the site of an earlier medieval moated site (now a Scheduled Ancient Monument). The house features a number of subsqeuent alterations.

The gardens were designed soon after by Thomas Mawson, and were completed in 1898. Features included terraces, lawns, banks, tennis court, yew hedges, walls, and borders, as well as some woodland planting.

Site timeline

1920 to 1929: Major and Mrs William Dickins Heywood extended the house with a large bay and window on the Drawing Room and another similar bay to the end of the Dining Room.

People associated with this site

Builder: Messrs Baker

Designer: Thomas Hayton Mawson (born 05/05/1861 died 14/11/1933)

Features

gate

rose garden

The beds in the rose gardens were once separated by box hedges. Some areas were later paved.

tennis lawn

statue

Feature created: After 1917

Major and Mrs William Dickins Heywood put various statues
around the garden.

well head

This feature no longer remains at Little Onn, though it is illustrated in some of the photographs linked to this record. It is an old well head with a wrought iron top. This was taken away to the garden at Tixall on the death of Mrs W D Heywood in 1971.

summerhouse

The rustic summerhouse is commonly attributed to Mawson. It was actually brought by Mr and Mrs William Dickins Heywood from their previous house, Letton Lodge, in Broughton Park, Manchester in 1917.

pond

Feature created: After 1917

Major and Mrs William Dickins Heywood created the 'Dog Bone' shaped pond at Little Onn (with its octagonal ends).