Lincoln Arboretum, Lincoln, England
Record Id: 2067
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Lincoln Arboretum is a public park originally laid out in the late-19th century by Edward Milner. The park was restored in the early-21st century and features lakes, fountains and a 19th-century bandstand.
Brief history of site
Lincoln Arboretum was designed and laid out in 1870 by Edward Milner, and opened in 1872. A bandstand was added to the site in 1884, and during the 1890s the arboretum attracted over 40,000 people to concerts. The arboretum was much neglected after World War 2. The glass pavilion was removed in 1948 having sustained bomb damage during the war. In 2003 a £3 million restoration project began to return the arboretum to its former glory.
Historical County: Lincolnshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||121||Grid Ref:||SK984715|
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily from 7am to 10pm.
Form of site: arboretum
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1870 to 1872
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 8.8