Lever Park, Rivington, Chorley, England
Record Id: 2057
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Gifted to the people of Bolton by Lord Leverhulme, Lever Park has been a country park since 1904. The park, which covers about 160 hectares, includes terraced gardens with walks, water features, a Japanese garden with pool, a scale model of Liverpool Castle, and an ornate pigeon tower with a sewing room on the top floor. Much of this is in the process of restoration.
Brief history of site
The site forms part of the gathering grounds for two reservoirs on the western side which were built in the 1850s. Because of this, the site was offered to Liverpool Corporation in 1899, but when the Corporation declined it was bought by Lord Leverhulme. In 1901 he offered to donate around 160 hectares of the land to Bolton Corporation for a public park. Lever laid out the park at his own expense and offered to maintain it during his lifetime. The park was opened in 1904 and another ceremony was held in 1911 to celebrate the completion of most of the work.
Address: Lever Park, Great House Barn Information Centre, Rivington Lane, Horwich, Bolton, BL6 7SB
Lancashire; Chorley; Rivington
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SD632140|
East of the M6, immediately north of Horwich
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily, from dawn to dusk. Please telephone 01 204 691549
Parking, refreshments, WCs, shop. Disabled access. Dogs welcome.
Form of site: country park
Purpose of site: country park
Context or principal building: water supply site
Site first created: 1901 to 1911
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 160