Leigh Court, Bristol, England
Record Id: 2043
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Leigh Court has pleasure grounds and a park of 128 hectares surrounding a country house, for which Humphry Repton produced a Red Book. The walled garden is now used by an educational charity working with organic horticulture.
Although not generally open to the public, the walled garden and orchard have occasional open days. Please visit their website for details.
Brief history of site
The site was given in 1148 to the monastery of St Augustine in Bristol, and remained monastic property until the dissolution. Sir George Norton built a new house after 1558, shown on a parish survey of 1800, on the site of the old, and this stood until 1811 when it was demolished prior to the building of the present Leigh Court nearby. The present building was erected by Thomas Hopper between 1814 and 1818. Humphry Repton advised on the landscape in about 1814 and a Red Book was produced in that year.
Address: Abbots Leigh, BS8 3RA
North Somerset; Abbots Leigh
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST543747|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Horticultural
Context or principal building: education
Site first created: After 1814
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 128