Badminton, Chipping Sodbury, England
Record Id: 203
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Badminton has a landscape park and pleasure grounds whose layout had its origin in the late-17th and early-18th centuries. Traces of this layout remain in spite of significant later modifications. There are also flower gardens and pleasure grounds dating from the 19th century. The site features a walled kitchen garden and numerous garden buildings, many of them listed.
Brief history of site
There had been a house on the site since at least 1612. Licences to enlarge the park were granted in 1658 and 1664, and formal gardens were laid out around the house at the same time.
Badminton has been the home of the Dukes of Beaufort since the late-17th century. George London, Henry Wise and Charles Bridgeman all had a hand in the layout of the park and pleasure grounds during the late-17th and early-18th centuries. Additional work was carried out by William Kent around 1746, by Thomas Wright in about 1750, and reputedly in the later 18th century by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown. Work on the gardens and grounds has continued since the 19th century.
Address: Badminton, South Gloucestershire, GL9 1DB
Locality: Chipping Sodbury
South Gloucestershire; Badminton
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||173||Grid Ref:||ST806828|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1660
Main period of development: Late 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 800