Lansdown Cemetery, Bath, England
Record Id: 2017
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Part/component area of: Beckford's Estate
Brief description of site
Lansdown Cemetery was opened in 1848. The area is dominated by the Italianate tower built for Beckford to H E Goodridge's designs in 1825-7. Other features include a a richly decorated stone gatehouse, a sunken terrace and the remains of a grotto. The site, with fine views over Bath, was given to the city as a cemetery by Beckford's daughter.
Brief history of site
The land was formerly a pleasure ground owned by William Beckford of Fonthill. He had wanted his sarcophagus to be placed in the grounds, but this was not allowed because the ground was unconsecrated. His daughter later presented the site to the people of Bath on condition that it would be used as a cemetery and Beckford's tomb be returned. The tomb was brought back in 1848 when the new cemetery, named Lansdown Cemetery, was consecrated and Beckford's Tower was converted into a mortuary chapel.
Address: Lansdown Cemetery, Bath, BA1 9BH
Bath and North East Somerset; Lansdown
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST738675|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal cemetery for general public use.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: cemetery
Site first created: 1827 to 1848
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 3.5