Lanhydrock, Bodmin, England
Record Id: 2016
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Lanhydrock is a 17th-century deer park and woodland of around 137 hectares, with 19th- and 20th-century gardens of around 8 hectares. The gatehouse and north wing of the house survive from the 17th century, but the main house was restored in 1881. The garden has a collection of camellias, magnolias and rhododendrons, with extensive woods and parkland running to the River Fowey.
Brief history of site
Lanhydrock was a monastic grange in the medieval period. The grange was re-built from 1625. It was taken by the Royalists in 1644 but returned to private occupation after 1649. The house had several different occupants, and was uninhabited from 1723 to the mid-1700s. Improvements were made from the mid-19th century, but the house was devastated by fire in 1881. The house was re-built to designs produced by Richard Coad.
Address: Lanhydrock, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL30 5AD
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||200||Grid Ref:||SX086636|
The site is 2.5 miles south-east of Bodmin.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open all year round, but access to the house, shop and plant centre is from February/March to November only. Please see:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/place-pages/198/pages/opening-times-calendar or telephone 01 208 265950
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1625 to 1881
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 145