Langleys, Great Waltham, England
Record Id: 2012
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Langleys has an early-18th-century park and woodland covering 63 hectares, which contains a late-19th-century formal garden.
Brief history of site
There was a house on the site some time before the 16th century. Part of the mansion was demolished and rebuilt in its present form, to designs by William Tufnell after 1711. Charles Bridgeman laid out the grounds. Repton produced a red book for the site, but it is not known what work was undertaken by him. During the early-19th century, part of the river was ornamented, new plantations were made, a new road cut through the park, and possibly pleasure gardens and the wilderness planted. By 1875, the park had been extended and an elaborate parterre garden had been laid out to the east of the house.
Address: Langleys, Great Waltham, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 1AH
Locality: Great Waltham
Essex; Chelmsford; Great Waltham
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||167||Grid Ref:||TL699137|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Site Style : formal
Site first created: After 1711
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 63