Lacock Abbey, Chippenham, England
Record Id: 1987
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Lacock Abbey has 18th-century parkland, with the addition of 19th-century trees. There is a Victorian rose garden, woodland garden and a recently-developed botanic garden.
Brief history of site
Lacock Abbey was founded in 1232 as a nunnery for Augustinian canonesses. After the dissolution, it was converted to a country house. In the early 18th century, under the ownership of John Talbot, Lacock Abbey had a series of enclosed gardens to the south, east, and west of the Abbey. In 1753 John Ivory Talbot commissioned Sanderson Miller to alter the south front. In 1755-6, a bill of £250 was paid to Lancelot Brown, which suggests the latter's involvement with alterations to the grounds. In the early 19th century, the Abbey's grounds were altered and replanted under the ownership of the pioneer photographer, William Henry Fox Talbot.
Address: Lacock, SN15 2LG
Historical County: Wiltshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||173||Grid Ref:||ST919684|
The site is off the A350, 3 miles south of Chippenham.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open daily between February and October from 11 am. Please see:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1232
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 15