Kirkharle Hall, (also known as East Harle), Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England
Record Id: 1965
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Kirkharle Hall has the remnants of landscape pleasure grounds and a park. The site is now divided into two roughly equal areas by the A696 road, built in the mid-19th century. The two areas are Little Harle Park (to the north) and Kirkharle Hall (to the south). Restoration work has recently taken place. A serpentine lake has been created in the early-21st century, based upon a plan by Lancelot Brown.
Brief history of site
The site was laid out between 1718 and 1743 by William Loraine, 2nd Baronet. Later alterations were made by the 4th Baronet, possibly on the advice of Lancelot Brown.
Address: Kirkharle, NE19 2PE
Historical County: Northumberland
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||81||Grid Ref:||NZ014825|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial office
Site first created: 1718 to 1743
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 80