Kings Weston, Bristol, England
Record Id: 1953
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Kings Weston is a mid- to late-18th-century park, laid out with advice from Lancelot Brown. It also contains the remains of the formal layout dating from Sir John Vanbrugh's early-18th-century redevelopment of an earlier house and park. The house is now used for corporate and private events, offices and a cafe. The park is mainly a public open space, except for the area south of Shirehampton Road which is a private golf course.
Brief history of site
An Elizabethan house had been built on the site by 1588. Associated formal gardens were developed during the late-17th and early-18th centuries. The present house was designed by Vanbrugh for Sir Edward Southwell and dates from 1714. In 1763 Robert Mylne was employed to complete the interior of the house and the outbuildings, including designs for the stables, kitchen gardens and lodges. The surrounding parklands were developed in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Address: Kings Weston Lane, BS11 0UR
Bristol, City of
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST542775|
Opening contact details:
The majority of the parkland is a public open space open at all times. However, the parkland south of Shirehampton Road (known as Shirehampton Park) is a private golf course. The house is used for private functions including weddings, corporate events, offices and as a cafe.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial
Site first created: 1712 to 1763
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 98