Kingston Lacy, Dorset, England
Record Id: 1951
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Kingston Lacy is a 17th-century house and parkland with woodland, avenues and gardens of around 164 hectares. The estate was radically remodelled in the 19th century by Sir Charles Barry, and includes 19th-century gardens of 11 hectares.
Brief history of site
There was a medieval manor house to the north of the present mansion, with a deer park to the north-west. By the early 16th century, the medieval manor house had fallen into disrepair and much of the open hunting land on the estate was enclosed. Sir Ralph Bankes commissioned Sir Roger Pratt (d 1685) to design a new house to be erected at Kingston Lacy. This was completed by 1667, and was surrounded by formal gardens. Significant changes were made between 1772 and 1776, including the enclosure of agricultural land outside the 17th century park, the remodelling of the house, and the construction of new service blocks. The hall was re-modelled by Charles Barry in 1835.
Address: Kingston Lacy, Wimborne Minster, Dorset, BH21 4EA
Dorset; East Dorset; Pamphill
Historical County: Dorset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||195||Grid Ref:||ST978012|
The estate lies 1.5 miles west of Wimborne Minster, on the B3082.
Opening contact details:
The park and gardens are open throughout the year, but the house is only open between March and October. Please see:
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: 1667 to 1776
Main period of development: 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 164