King Edward VII Hospital, Midhurst, England
Record Id: 1940
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Whilst most of the planting has now gone and there have been some minor changes to the gardens, the bulk of the design is extant and many of the more substantial trees and shrubs planted by Gertrude Jekyll are still in place. It is a wonderful site with far reaching views to the south, the gardens are excellent and remarkably complete.
Brief history of site
The foundation stone of the hospital was laid by King Edward VII in 1903. He also opened the hospital in June 1906. It was a private tuberculosis sanatorium for the middle classes.
Address: Kings Drive, Midhurst, Kent, GU29 0BL
West Sussex; Chichester; Easebourne
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU880249|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: hospital
Site first created: 1903 to 1906
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 17