Kiddington Hall, Woodstock, England
Record Id: 1907
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Kiddington Hall originated in the 17th century. The park was landscaped between 1740 and 1760 by Lancelot Brown. Formal gardens were laid out in about 1850 by Charles Barry to complement the present building, which was completed at that date. The site occupies about 90 hectares (75 hectares registered).
Brief history of site
The house was re-built, apparently over the old foundations, in 1673. Lancelot Brown worked briefly on the site in 1740. He returned to the site in the 1760s, and it is likely that this is when Brown landscaped the park and created the lake. Around 1850, the house was re-modelled in Italianate style, formal terraces were laid out and the stable block was built.
Address: Kiddington Hall, Kiddington, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, OX20 1BX
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Kiddington with
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP412229|
Off the A44, 4 miles north of Woodstock, 12 miles north of Oxford.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: After 1673
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 90