Kidbrooke Park, East Grinstead, England
Record Id: 1906
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Kidbrooke is an 18th-century landscape park and garden originally occupying about 80 hectares, but reduced by a housing development in the 20th century. The garden area near the Palladian-style house was developed in the mid-1920s.
Brief history of site
The present house was built in 1733-4, and grounds and a park were laid out at the same time. Under new ownership, the park was improved by Humphry Repton between 1803 and 1806. The house was enlarged and altered after 1874. The estate was broken up after World War 2. The house, gardens and pleasure grounds are now a Steiner school.
Address: Michael Hall School, Kidbrooke Park, Forest Row, East Sussex, RH18 5JA
Locality: East Grinstead
East Sussex; Wealden; Forest Row
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||187||Grid Ref:||TQ418344|
Off the A22 south of East Grinstead.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: 1733 to 1806
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 65