Key Hill Cemetery, (also known as The Birmingham General Cemetery), Birmingham, England
Record Id: 1905
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Key Hill Cemetery opened in 1836, and closed to new burials in 1980, after which it became overgrown and neglected. The site, which was partly laid out within an old sand quarry, covers about 3 hectares, and includes a group of catacombs. Restoration work is now taking place.
Brief history of site
Key Hill Cemetery was founded by the Birmingham General Cemetery Company and opened in 1836 as a Nonconformist cemetery, though it was open to all denominations. It was designed by the architect Charles Edge of Birmingham.
Address: Key Hill Cemetery, Icknield Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6PL
West Midlands; Birmingham
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP059881|
Central Birmingham, north of the city centre. South-east of the A41/A4540 junction.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site, open daily. Core opening hours are 10am to 4pm. Open from 8.30am on weekdays.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: cemetery
Site first created: 1836
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 3