Kenwood, Hampstead, England
Record Id: 1903
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The existing site is a mid-18th-century park, remodelled in the English landscape style from about 1755, and completed by Humphry Repton. It overlies an early-18th-century formal garden. Covering an area of about 45 hectares, the site includes lakes, woodland, a walled garden and ornamental planting.
Brief history of site
The site had previously been a wood, the first house here being built after 1616. There was an associated terrace to the south. In 1751, the Earl of Bute described the gardens as filled with 'every exotick our climate will protect'. Robert Adam was commissioned to remodel the house and was also responsible for landscaping the pleasure grounds in the second half of the 18th century. Humphry Repton was commissioned in 1793 and visited three times between 1793 and 1796. The landscape changed little throughout the 19th century. The site is now a public park with free access, under the guardianship of English Heritage.
Address: Kenwood House, Hampstead Lane, Hampstead, London, NW3 7JR
Greater London; Camden
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ271874|
Tube: Archway, Golders Green (Northern) then bus. London Overground: Hampstead Heath. Bus: 210
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and January 1st. Core hours are 11.30 am to 4 pm.
Some parking. Disabled access. WCs. Refreshments. Dogs on leads (restricted areas). Events.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: 1616 to 1796
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 45